Sunday, September 27, 2015

October Shop Update - NS&PRR and DTNX

Hi everyone, so from here on out, I've decided to do monthly updates on my On30 and Ho progress, with the On30 being filed under the North Shore & Pacific and the Ho being filed under DTNX for the time being as I don't have any active layout projects going in Ho scale at the moment.


     North Shore and Pacific:  As some of you may or may not be aware of, I'm currently away from the shops so nothing new has happened.  However, I am making plans for my return in December to work on various projects once more.  For the interest of time, the two projects that I'm focusing in on are the #3 and the new caboose, soon to be NS&P #218.  The caboose, which is currently Colorado Southern #1002 will get new decals and also will have red window trim added.  Another future project on the #218 if I get to it is reworking and painting the interior, as well as redoing the lighting  to add a new lantern on the rear as well as marker lights in addition to remedying the flickering on the existing interior lighting.   The #3 is going to receive some minor work as well, which includes work on the headlight (removing the excess metal and adding a SMD Led) though at the very least I would like to get the headlight on.  In addition to actually get the headlight on, I as well need to trim the down the headlight mount, as the new arc has a much smaller footprint than the previous electric light.   The new cap stack is still on order and has not been shipped out yet but I'm hoping that it will be here soon, which if that is the case will be installed at this time as well.   Two additional projects that I hope to complete as time allows are removing the second, rear sand pipe as the real #3 had it's rear sand pipe removed when it was rebuilt in 1958 prior to entering service at the park and painting the domes a gloss black color. At the time of this writing, the #271 and #1031 projects have been put on the shelf indefinitely.


     DTNX: Work on the diorama (check out my Flickr page) has stalled projects prior to my time away from the shops, but I have several queued up to work on once I'm back, first and foremost #5319.  The engine when I left had just had it's fuel tank weathered somewhat successfully with powders and acrylics, though I'm not sure I will carry the methods over to the trucks and rest of the locomotive.   Along with weathering the rest of the engine, I'm going to look into prepping this engine for a sound decoder, possibly the WOW Sound decoder from TCS.  I had originally intended to install a sound decoder first in #3851 but after deciding that I wanted to detail that unit and renumber it as #3859, I decided it was probably in best interest to add sound to #5319, as all it needs is weathering.   Speaking of #3851/#3859, and as well #4109, I've put both those projects on the back burner for the time being as I'd like to focus on actually finishing the #5319 though as far as #4109 is concerned, I will continue to collect detail and rebuilding parts for when I'm ready to continue on that project.


     General News:  Though I'm not fully ready to discuss the details at this time, I currently working on a trade that might bring new power to the railroad in exchange for two units I currently have.  The details are not yet final, but at this time, all I can say is that the project will affect the #1031 project so change might have to be made for the long term plan for that engine.  I will most likely have more details revealed in next month's shop update.

No comments:

Post a Comment